Have you ever made fresh pesto? If not, it might be hard to imagine the incredibly vibrant, glistening green color that cilantro, basil and italian parsley produce when they’re blended, and the explosive, fresh smell is beyond even describing!
Two Chicks Three Herb Pesto is a recipe we make weekly on the road because it’s incredibly delicious and versatile. Plus, it’s easy, as long as you have a handy travel blender/food processor. It’s vegan, raw and vital to adding awesome flavor to sandwiches, pasta, roasted veggies, salads or whatever else you want to experiment with. Little jars of pesto at the market are always the same: heavy on the oil and completely lacking freshness. You can make your own batch in minutes that’s far more fresh, light, zesty and delicious. Like so many of the recipes we’ve created or borrowed from, this one is totally tweak-able. The ratio of herbs and other ingredients is completely up to you and your taste buds. For example, if you want the cilantro to stand out, use more cilantro. If all three of the herbs aren’t available to you it’s fine to leave one out.
1 cup basil
1 cup cilantro
1 cup italian parsley
Juice of 1/2 a lemon
1 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp raw seeds (sunflower or pumpkin) (optional)
1) Add the herbs to your blender or food processor.
2) Chop lightly and then add the garlic.
3) Add the juice of the lemon.
4) Add the salt.
5) Add the seeds.
6) Add half of the olive oil.
7) Start the blender or processor and blend until it starts to combine.
8) Turn off the blender and add a bit more olive oil, and scrape down the sides of the bowl to make sure all of the ingredients will be blended together nicely.
9) Blend/process some more, then stop again to add the remainder of the olive oil and to scrape down the sides.
10) Blend/process again until the consistency just begins to get smooth and creamy.
11) It will stay fresh for several days, longer if kept refrigerated or in a cooler.